Friday, July 27, 2007

Korean Mummies Reveal Medical Clues, Love Poems


Another mummy was found buried with a love poem written by his bereaved wife.

Dating to around the time Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet, the verse bears striking similarities to the famous tragedy.

It reads, in part:

You always said we would be living together, to die in the same day
However, why did you go to the heaven alone?
Why did you go alone leaving me and our child behind?
...
I cannot live without you anymore.
I hope I could be with you.
Please let me go with you.
My love to you, it is unforgettable in this world,
and my sorrow, it is without end.
...


Existing clan records identify the 32-year-old man as the second son of a senior figure involved in a revolt against the emperor.

A total of 13 letters, as well as slippers woven from the wife's hair, were discovered with his preserved body.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.